Thursday, December 4, 2008

NY Times 100 Notable Books of 2008


I am a voracious reader. Always have been, always will be. So how is it possible that I've only read one of the books on the New York Times' 100 Notable Books of 2008 list?

I blame the lag time between the date the books are published and the date they arrive at the Royal Oak Library. I've tried buying all my books in the past - trust me, it isn't economical ;-)

See the list for yourself at: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/books/review/100Notable-t.html?pagewanted=1

2 comments:

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Kristen...here is something to consider. First, many of those bestsellers are manipulated into the bestsellers list by publishing houses' deep pockets. One woman wrote a novel about vampires, her first novel, and it was immediately on the bestseller list---before publication. A rightwing crazy recently wrote a book about Obama and that was on the bestseller list, mostly because certain right wing groups bought dozens of unopened cartons in an attempt to drive it to the top of the list and create controversy.

In my opinion, a person can't just focus on their writing, they also need to focus on what will make their writing marketable and then how to successfully market it. I know, that sounds crass, and it isn't for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Well... the notable list is VERY different from the "Bestseller List." Bestsellers are what America reads. The books that make this list, for the most part, are books that intelligent, discerning people would read. BIG difference. And to be honest, there were only three or four that I read this year. Because even people like us read what we want to, and not what we OUGHT to. Think of it as suggested, not required reading. ;)